Applications for the summer 2024 fellowship are now open and will close at 11:59 p.m. CST on February 19, 2024.
Students who are not selected for one of the fellowship slots for summer 2024 may have the opportunity to interview for paid summer research opportunities in our labs and clinical research groups.
Undergraduate students who are:
- attending a university or college (four-year institution or community college) local to the St. Louis metro area, including Southern Illinois, or students who are from the St. Louis metro area and attending school elsewhere.
- interested in one of the research areas mentioned on this site, or a career in the health sciences.
- a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- in good academic standing with a strong GPA.
- have a demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion in all settings.
Recent undergraduates who have obtained their degree within the last 6 months are also eligible to apply.
Individuals from backgrounds that are historically underrepresented in science and medicine are especially encouraged to apply. Learn more about populations underrepresented in the extramural scientific workforce at https://diversity.nih.gov/about-us/population-underrepresented
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
Upload a statement via the online application below about your interest in research and include your personal career goals in science or medicine. Please also include a paragraph about any prior service experiences you may have and your commitment to equity and diversity work.
Please keep your essay to one page or shorter.
Upload transcripts from each post-secondary institution you have attended via the online application below. Official and unofficial transcripts are acceptable. Documents must include spring 2023 grades.
- Letters of recommendation
Two letters of recommendation from individuals at your college or university who know you well and can attest to your interest and capacity for scientific research (such as research mentors and professors from your science or math courses) are required.
Please have your references email their letters directly to Anne DeSchryver by Feb. 19, 2024, firstname.lastname@example.org.