Applications for the Summer 2023 fellowship will open in November 2022 and close on February 20, 2023.
Students who may not be selected into one of the two fellowship slots for summer 2023 may have the opportunity to interview for paid summer research opportunities in our labs and clinical research groups.
- Undergraduate students attending a university or college local to the St. Louis metro area, including Southern Illinois.
- Interested in one of the research areas mentioned on this site, or a career in the health sciences.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- In good academic standing with a strong GPA.
- Have a demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion in all settings.
Recent undergraduates who have obtained their baccalaureate within the last 6 months are also eligible to apply.
Individuals from backgrounds that are historically underrepresented in science and medicine are especially encouraged to apply. Learn more about populations underrepresented in the extramural scientific workforce at https://diversity.nih.gov/about-us/population-underrepresented.
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
Upload a statement via the online application below about your interest in research and include your personal career goals in science or medicine. Please also include a paragraph about any prior service experiences you may have and your commitment to equity and diversity work.
Please keep your essay to one page or shorter.
Attach transcripts from each post-secondary institution you have attended via the online application below. Official and unofficial transcripts are acceptable. Documents must include spring 2022 grades.
- Letters of recommendation
Two letters of recommendation from individuals at your college or university who know you well and can attest to your interest and capacity for scientific research (such as research mentors and professors from your science or math courses) are required. Please have your references email their letters directly to Amber Spies, email@example.com. These letters can be sent after the application deadline closes, but no later than March 1.
Please submit all of the above items as a PDF.